Monday, July 18, 2016

Spotlight on Michelle Wilson @authormwilson #anwaconf16

One week closer to conference! Are you registered yet? Check out our door prize page for the latest additions.

This week we are spotlighting Michelle Wilson. She will be teaching GETTING TO THE HEART OF NON-FICTION and team teaching CONQUERING THE DEVILS IN A WRITER'S MIND with J. Scott Savage. Be sure to check out her website and keep an eye out for her newest book coming out in August. Enjoy her interview!




What is the first childhood memory that comes to mind? (That you’re willing to share of course)

My first memory ever is walking through a field behind my Josie with my brothers when I was three. My mother had bought me a pair of brown boots that reached my knees. The dry grass had no power of me and my new footwear. I was invincible. Suddenly, a sharp pain shot through my foot. The cause: a rogue nail had penetrated the once-thought invisible rubber sole of my new Payless boots. My devastation was only made worse when I had to get a tetanus shot because the nail was rusty. So, so sad. Lol. 

What made you decide to become a writer?

I don't think I ever chose to be a writer. I just was. Ever since I can remember ice written: poetry, songs, stories, lists, thoughts, letters, a journal since I was thirteen. I have always loved putting pen to paper and breathing life to the things in my head. I realized I was writer about eight years ago when I started to blog, and I decided to commit to writing as a career in October 2012 at my first writers retreat- the ANWA Northwest retreat.  I sat in the swing my second evening there after most had gone to bed, thoughts and feelings swam through my mind and heart. Then came an excited feeling at the idea that maybe I could do this; I could write. Then it came- I decided to give writing all I had. It was a seminal moment in my life. One I'll never forget. 

What's your favorite thing to write?

Inspirational nonfiction flexed by women's fiction. 


What method do you use to write?
I eat copious amounts of chocolate. Type stuff. Think it's crap. Delete stuff. Eat more chocolate. Type more stuff. Then rinse and repeat until I hand off to my editor. Simple, really. 


What was the book first and latest book you've read?

The Wizard of Oz. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen 
What is something you wish you would have known going into the writing world?
That writing is messy and publishing is really hard. 


If you could travel back in time to when you began your writing career, what would be the advice you would give yourself?
Don't let anyone determined how good or bad you feel about your writing. Reviews and opinions of others are just that: opinions. 

Believe you're supposed to do this and don't let anyone ruin wiring for you. 

And get up and walk more. Writing is a sedentary exercise. Couple that with my previously-mentioned copious amounts of chocolate and the risk for mass growth becomes very real. Lol. 



What would you tell any writer at any stage in their writing?


Write what you love and love that you write. 

No comments:

Post a Comment