Monday, July 25, 2016

Spotlight on Janette Rallison — #anwaconf16 @janetterallison

Conference is fast approaching! Have you registered yet? There are so many amazing authors who will be sharing their wealth of knowledge with us. This week we are spotlighting Janette Rallison! She will be teaching SCENE STRUCTURE: WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE YOUR WRITING WORK ALL NOVEL ALL. Be sure to check out her books here, and if you're around she's having a book launch on Aug 23 for WRONG SIDE OF MAGIC. Stop on by to see her. Enjoy!




*What is the first childhood memory that comes to mind? (That you’re willing to share of course)

Although this isn't my first childhood memory, it's probably the most telling of my future career. When I was a small child, my parents took me to see Fantasia. I asked them nonstop to explain what was going on and kept asking what had happened to the last characters. My parents did their best to explain that Fantasia wasn't really a story, it was just cartoons doing stuff to classical music. I didn't believe them. I was sure there had to be some story. When it became clear there wasn't, I hated the movie. I still remember the feeling of being cheated. Even back then, I knew the necessity of a plot.

*What made you decide to become a writer?

An abundance of optimism. I mean really, why else would any of us spend years writing stories with the expectation that other people will want to pay to read the stuff we make up? It's a good thing we're all such optimists or no one would have anything to read.

*What's your favorite thing to write?

Romance. I must be a hopeless romantic because whether I'm writing fantasy, sci fi, or contemporary I always seem to put a romance in the story.

*What method do you use to write?

I come up with a basic plot--or at least a premise for one--and then I sit down and start writing. I'm a slow writer. I average 200-400 words an hour, and that's not for polished writing. I usually skip over description on the first draft and just leave myself notes to add it later. Don't ask why I'm so slow. I don't know. You'd think after twenty years of doing this that I'd be faster. But no.
*What was the book first and latest book you've read?

The first books that I read were The Little House on the Prairie series. The last book I've read is The Wright Brothers.
*What is something you wish you would have known going into the writing world?

I wish I'd known more about marketing. I still don't do as much of it as I should. (One of the curses of being a slow writer--it eats up all your time.)
*If you could travel back in time to when you began your writing career, what would be the advice you would give yourself?

Write what you want to write, not what your editors want you to write. 
*What would you tell any writer at any stage in their writing?

Learn as much about the craft as you can and don't stop learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment