Monday, July 11, 2016

Spotlight on Jennifer Moore — @jennythebrave @anwaconf

Welcome back. We're getting closer and closer to conference time. Be sure to check out the new door prizes here.

This week's spotlight is Jennifer Moore! She will be teaching RESEARCH: WHAT'S THE POINT? and ELEMENTS OF SWOON-WORTHY ROMANCE at the conference. Check out her bio with additional FAQ's here and her amazing books, some of which she's generously donated as door prizes. Find out which ones here. Enjoy!




These are the questions we asked, and Jennifer's response is below.
*What is the first childhood memory that comes to mind? (That you’re willing to share of course) 
*What made you decide to become a writer?
*What's your favorite thing to write?
*What method do you use to write? 
*What was the book first and latest book you've read?
*What is something you wish you would have known going into the writing world?
*If you could travel back in time to when you began your writing career, what would be the advice you would give yourself? 
*What would you tell any writer at any stage in their writing?

My first childhood memory is of my dad reading to me. He would hold me in his big easy chair and read to me all the time--according to my mom--just whatever he was reading, he would do it aloud. So, sports page, bills, the Economist. I remember sitting on his lap listening to his voice. So, I've always associated words and reading with love. And books have been my escape, my hobby, my obsession ever since. I think that's why I wanted to be a writer, because I read so much. And because I love stories and characters and books. I'm pretty shy around real people, so that's my comfort zone. 

I love to write romance, not because I'm a woman or because it's just a girly escape, but because I think relationships are the most important thing we have. I especially like historical. Because I love history--especially history that involves ships. So, I guess that's my answer to what I like to write best--shippy romances.

The latest book I read was a non-fiction about Scottish customs. The title is something like "From the Cradle to the Grave." A research book, and it was really interesting.
 
And as far as advice, I'd tell people in every step of the writing journey to enjoy it. There's something so wonderful about not being published and being able to write whatever you want with no deadline. Then it's wonderful, too to have your first book come out. And all the ones after. I wish I'd spent less time worrying about whether I'd ever be published and just enjoyed it. And also, write what you love, not what you think will sell. I spent a lot of time writing books that I was sure would sell because I'd researched what agents and publishers were looking for. But when I put that all aside and wrote the story that was in my heart--a shippy romance--that's when I was happiest, and it showed in the story.

And what method do I use? I outline, but loosely. I like to allow myself a little room for discovery. But I do have the story pretty well mapped out before I start.

No comments:

Post a Comment