Sunday, August 7, 2016

Spotlight on Melanie Jacobson — #anwaconf16

Wow! 39 days until conference. There are still more door prizes being added. Be sure to check them out here, and make sure you're registered. This week's spotlight is Melanie Jacobson. She will be teaching PUSH HER OFF THE ROOF: ESCALATING THE STAKES and FIRST DRAFTING: THE ONE THING THAT WILL BOOST YOUR PRODUCTIVITY OVERNIGHT (AND A FEW OTHERS THAT HELP). They sound like amazing classes. Here's a list of all the other classes being offered. Make sure to stop by Melanie's website to see all the books she's written and some more fun facts about her. Enjoy this spotlight!






What made you decide to become a writer?

I grew up in a tradition of Southern storytellers and both of my grandmothers dabbled in poetry, so I think it's in my blood. I've loved stories for as long as I can remember. When we went through the heavenly talent line, some people got singing or dancing or drawing. I got words. So I try to use them.

What's your favorite thing to write?

I like escapist stories, a little on the light side. Definitely heavy doses of humor and healthy doses of heart.

What method do you use to write?

I used to be a total pantser, but I found I was ovewriting and having to cut so much out while I wandered around my manuscripts trying to find a story that I decided I need to learn to outline. Now I lay out a list of scenes on about 25-30 notecards, then write for about five minutes each day about what my scene is going to be, longhand in one of the million notebooks I have lying around. Then I tackle the scene on my laptop and it all comes to me pretty fast. I've gone from an average of 6 months to more like 4 months to finish a manuscript. 
What was the book first and latest book you've read?

I'm currently reading The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros. But I'm rarely reading less than two books at once, so I'm also reading Morgan Matson's new summer book, a fun YA story. 
What is something you wish you would have known going into the writing world?

I wish I'd known that there was no way around suffering for your art if you want to tell the best stories you can. And for me the suffering is just the hard, hard work, not so much any emotional pain. But if I'd understood how hard I'd have to work to get the best writing out of myself, I'd have starting doing that hard work sooner. 
If you could travel back in time to when you began your writing career, what would be the advice you would give yourself? 

I'd say not to be in such a rush to get published. Spend the time getting good. 
What would you tell any writer at any stage in their writing?

If some part of you doesn't still love the work--even when it's hard--then walk away from it. If you're meant to be a writer, it will call you back when you're ready. But if you're only quitting because you feel like you don't have time for hard work in your life right now, and you still love storytelling, you will pay for that in unhappiness while you push down a side of yourself that needs to be honored. It's a hard balance, but whichever way gives you a greater sense of relief is the correct choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment